Buildings & Landscapes
Journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum
click on each image for an enlarged version
With sadness we mark the death of VAF founding member and noted preservationist Orlando Ridout V of Annapolis, Maryland, who won VAF's Glassie Award in 2012. Among many online tributes are those from the Maryland Historical Trust and The Baltimore Sun.
VAF 2013 Annual Meeting in Gaspé, Quebec
The rendez-vous for the Gaspé-Percé 2013 VAF, "The Ebb and Flow of Religion and Economy in Gaspé Cultural Landscapes," is set for Tuesday, June 11 to Saturday, June 15, 2013.
2012 Award Winners Announced
At the VAF Annual Conference in Madsion the following award winners were announced:
- Award for Advocacy: Dana Duppler of the Lead Region Historic Trust
- Buchanan Award: Don Linebaugh for "Goulson Frame House Project"
- Bishir Prize: Janet Ore for "Mobile Home Syndrome: Engineered Woods and the Making of a New Domestic Ecology in the Post–WW II Era" in Technology and Culture 52:2
- Glassie Awards: William Tishler and Orlando Ridout V, each for lifetime achievement
- Cummings Prize: Rebecca Ginsburg for At Home with Apartheid: The Hidden Landscapes of Domestic Service in Johannesburg
Congratulations to all!
What is Vernacular Architecture?
Vernacular architecture refers to ordinary buildings and landscapes. The VAF acknowledges that there have been and continue to be debates on defining "vernacular architecture." We'll be posting brief pieces on this topic in the coming months.