Funds for field schools, fieldwork related to scholarly research, and field-based continuing education are still available in 2020 through the Orlando Ridout V Fieldwork Fellowship. Although the Ridout Fellowship is well utilized by field school directors and students attending various programs, there are several other funding opportunities with this award. Because so many field schools had to cancel sessions this year due to the COVID pandemic, we wanted to highlight the other categories in which this fellowship can be immensely helpful to both students and professionals. Students may also apply to assist with research and fieldwork for the preparation of a thesis or dissertation, and practicing professionals and scholars may apply for continuing education as related to fieldwork or for actual fieldwork that compliments archival research.
Funding categories include:
1) Field school directors (VAF members) may apply for grants of up to $1,000 to support their programs and/or provide financial aid to participants;
2) Students participating in field schools or other training opportunities may apply for stipends of up to $500 to attend such programs (prior VAF membership not required);
3) VAF members may apply for grants up to $500 to support continuing education and professional training activities;
4) VAF members may apply for grants of up to $1,000 for support of fieldwork activities related to the pursuit of academic degrees;
5) VAF members may apply for grants of up to $1,000 to support fieldwork activities not related to fulfillment of academic degree requirements.
Please take advantage of this opportunity! For more information, see: https://www.vernaculararchitectureforum.org/Ridout-Fellowship